Confidence simply put is the belief in one's abilities.The following are ways you can build your confidence:
- LOVE YOURSELF: The first step in building your confidence is to love yourself. You are unique in every way.Your exclusive finger print says it more clearly. Accept who you are and learn to love yourself.You have strengths and weaknesses - everyone does! Don't let your flaws overpower you, burying your unique features. Confidence grows out of love for one's self. When you love yourself, you will appreciate your worth, and will be motivated to increase your value.Think on this - We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies. By Roderick Thorp, Rainbow Drive
- DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS:If you love yourself and realise your uniqueness, there will be no need to compare yourself to others.Constantly comparing yourself to other people is not wise and can be very draining.Life can be simpler if you learn to accept yourself as you are. Accept your strengths, face your weaknesses. Pinch yourself whenever you negatively compare yourself to another, and remind yourself of your unique nature. Avoid undue competition,be content and don't envy others. Let the achievements of others rather inspire you to have a desire to achieve.
- FOCUS ON YOUR GOOD SIDE, STRENGTHS AND ENDOWMENTS: Acknowledging your good side, your strengths and endowments will inject into you a sense of value, and will in turn boost your confidence. Whenever you are feeling low,brood over your positive side and traits ,and smile to yourself. I once read about how facial expressions send messages to the brain which in turn registers it. So do send a message of self worth to your brain by smiling to yourself about all the good things you are made up of.
- IMPROVE YOURSELF: Look for ways of improving yourself. Self improvement makes us feel better about ourselves. Use the SWOT analysis to ascertain your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Once you are able to identify your strengths, endowments and interests, look for opportunities to increase your knowledge and skills in those areas. Be a star in your own small way. Once you become deft at what you do, success is next. But remember to nip in the bud anything that can threaten your success, complacency for example .
- FACE YOUR WEAKNESSES; ACCEPT YOUR FLAWS: Your weaknesses are part of your unique nature -face them! Do not hide your flaws, and don't live your life keeping up false appearances. Be yourself, enjoy life! You have flaws, but so does everyone else. Look for ways of bettering yourself, if there is any way to reduce the effect of your weakness, then do pursue it. But in all, don't be too hard on yourself. If you have a disability, look at it as your unique difference. Do not allow your flaws to exhaust you.There is nothing perfect in life, so kindly do not waste your life by always seeking perfection.Work hard but avoid perfectionism!
- ACCEPT COMPLIMENTS: Do not deflect or reject compliments,accept them! Rejecting compliments is not a sign of humility. Compliments help us to improve our self image. If you want to increase your self esteem, you need to be true to your efforts and endowments. Accepting compliments is not a sign of being puffed up, but is a good indicator that you are not oblivious of your worth. Learn to smile and say thank you whilst receiving a compliment. It will help you feel good about yourself and aid you to appreciate and celebrate your positive qualities.
- TAKE UP CHALLENGES: The deeper you dig, the more likely you are to find treasure. To make yourself feel good, take up new challenges, realistic ones of course, and work hard towards accomplishing it. Deal with fear, it's only False Evidence Appearing Real. You can accomplish whatever you put your mind to, for where there is a will there is a way! Take it upon yourself to learn a new skill or trade, or to study a new language. There are many challenges you could take on. Accomplishing your challenge will positively affect your level of confidence - so go on, explore!
- BE ASSERTIVE; STICK TO YOUR PRINCIPLES :Confident people are able to take a stand and do speak their minds freely ,openly and politely. You don't have to put up a show to be heard. When you do not agree to something, take a stand. Do not feel inferior to others. Don't be stifled by the opinions of others, you deserve to have a mind of your own and to own an opinion.
- KEEP FIT AND PRACTICE A GOOD POSTURE: How you carry yourself says a lot about you. People usually will receive you or not based on the self image you portray.Human beings usually smell a low self esteem, so learn to walk with a spring in your step. Feel good about yourself, exercise and eat healthy to keep a good figure, dress up comfortably and walk confidently. Confidence conquers half of your life's battles, so think it, walk it and live it.
Just as Eleanor Roosevelt declared - ''Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.''
BE CONFIDENT, BE HAPPY!